Monday, May 5, 2008

OpenMRS Fired Up and Running on the Laptop

I finally have a little breathing room from my huge school project and wanted to setup OpenMRS on my laptop. I basically followed the steps from http://openmrs.org/wiki/Step-by-Step_Installation_for_Developers and got things up and running. Basic stuff about the versions of the various software I setup:

  • Fresh install of Eclipse 3.3.2 and setup Subclipse 1.2.4. Running Java 1.6.0_05-b13 but set compliance level to 1.5.
  • Installed MySQL 5.0.51b and configured as a multifunctional db with 20 concurrent connections. Decided to make UTF8 the default character set.
  • Installed the MySQL GUI tools so I could easily look at the db model if required.
  • ant 1.7.0
  • Tomcat 6.0.16

To make sure things were all working correctly, I made my self a patient in the system:

Alright, back to running network simulations for school. Only 10 more days!

4 comments:

Ben Wolfe said...

Did you hit any pitfalls while installing on Vista? I know some people have a really hard time getting it going because of the various "securities".

Kevin said...

I didn't really run into any Vista specific snags. I removed all the annoying security that asks for permission to do everything when I first got Vista ~1 year ago. The only Vista thing I noticed was the first time you publish the war to Tomcat via Eclipse, the firewall asks about blocking connections from eclipse. Simply choose to unblock and all is good.

Anonymous said...

How did you install tomcat as a service on vista. The 6.0.16 execuable installs ok but the service will not run and we are forced to install Tomcat using the .bin files and startup/shutdown manually on vista machines.

Thanks

Kevin said...

Just used the OOTB Tomcat installer. What happens when you try to start the service? Anything in the Tomcat logs or Windows Event Viewer?